▪ Over 1/3 of the foods we eat comes from insect pollinated crops. Some of our favorites like coffee and chocolate require pollination.
▪ Honeybees are responsible for pollinating 80% of fruit, vegetables, and seeds in the U.S.
▪ Nuts, cotton, hay, and alfalfa grown require pollination by insects.
▪ Wisconsin has 500 Native Bees.
▪ The oldest bee fossil is 100 million years old. The first beekeepers were the Egyptians in 2400 B.C.
To make one pound of honey, the bees in the colony must visit 2 million flowers, fly over 55,000 miles and will be the lifetime work of approximately 300 bees.